Thursday, September 26, 2013

"Football High" : A Documentary or Horror Film

In class we watched the Documentary entitled "Football High." While watching it, I could not help but to feel horrified at what I was seeing and hearing about modern day football. As the contents of the film itself were terrifying to me, I found it more terrifying that I am guilty of being just as oblivious to the real dangers of football and in fact have encouraged my 11 and 12 year old nephews to join in the barbarism by becoming members of our home town high-school's feeder program.

One of the big issues "Football High" presents is the safety of the football players as they are subjected to very hard hits every day in practice, and even harder hits in games that can cause major head trauma. One of these the film discusses is a disease called CET in which a player could have such severe brain damage that the likelihood for someone to develop depression, dementia, and even attempt suicide are increased. Concussions are a big concern and are a gateway to long-term brain damage as well. It was said in the video that  according to the sensors placed in football helmets, high school players receive more contact to the head than even college athletes. It is also stated that these helmets are designed for the protection of fracture to the skull, but do not necessarily protect against concussions. The athletic director of one of the high schools in the film even stated that there are certain safety requirements that are required at the high-school level of football, but there are no penalties if these requirements are not met by the coaching staff.  In one incident, a player named Garrett that was a member of the Shiloh Christian High-School Saints' football team received a concussion during a game and was actually released by an athletic trainer to play in the second half. Some high-school's don't even have an athletic trainer on staff due to the lack of money to provide for another staff member, and the coaches are expected to provide the medical attention and determine the health standings of their players.

Another big issue, that seems to be the overall, underlying theme of this documentary, is that football (especially at the high-school level) is becoming way too serious. So serious, in fact, that this same Shiloh High-School has 6 members of the coaching staff to attend to only 40 players of the team, not including private trainers outside of practice for agility purposes. Also, these coaches are having their players practice in 112 degree heat indexes, just to not miss one day of getting better than the opponent. Two high-schools in Arkansas, one of which again was Shiloh, each had a player pass out and have a heat stroke in the same season due to practicing in this kind of weather. Both boys were hospitalized in critical condition and the one from the neighboring high school was not lucky enough to make it out alive. Even after this incident, Will, the surviving boy from Shiloh, continued to play football. Kids should not be expected of putting their lives at risk for the sake of a sport, and this particular sport has proven to be extremely dangerous in may aspects.

These big issues are presented in the film as, just as I took them to be after watching: horrifying.  As they are presented as such and the coaches\staff and players appear to know all these details, they still act as though it is part of the game and these types of things are inevitable. I think the big question the makers of the video want people to think about is what is being done about the horrifying aspects of this sport? Also, what can we do to get people to stop ignoring and playing through the pain when it is, in fact, something you should not be playing with. It is one thing to play through a couple bumps and bruises (not very complicated injuries), but when it comes to life and death situations...is winning really that important?
 



3 comments:

  1. I agree that it was apalling that Garrett was allowed to play after acknowledging he had a concussion. But they determined looking at the score they needed him in the game, that showed no responsibilty for his safety. Their practice guideline or lack there of shows no guard for their safety in the heat that they practice in, I was suprised no guidelines were set forth after the death of the boy in Arkansas. It shows the all or nothing mentality of parents, they do not even try to mandate for safer conditions for their children. I had a girl receive a concussion with a hematoma on my team two years ago, I called an ambulance and called the game. I would of never put her on the sideline, said "get your head together I need you back in the game!" They recently called a game on 9/13/13 in New York, due to a helmet to helmet hit, the player was hurt,and lost consciousness. They called an ambulance and did call the game, he died the three days later from a cerebral hemorrhage. The team has called the season. Changes to to be made for these kids safety and their practice conditions, afterall they are KIDS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised that, as a coach, you have also experienced some similar situations with your kids. I agree with you and think you did the right thing in immediately calling an ambulance and even the game for that matter. I think it is important that we instill in kids that it's important to work your hardest in everything you do, but when it comes to their health and safety, they are much more important than some silly game.

      Delete
  2. I love the last question you ask in this blog. Is winning really that important? Which is so perfect for this blog because it pretty much sums up the entire documentary. I thought you covered everything and did a great job stating your opinion and relating it back to your own life. I makes me wonder if that the coaches actually care about these players or do they care more about winning? It's great that they want to get their players to play high more advanced football like in college but it does come to a point where the line is being crossed. I also would like to tell you out of all the blogs I had to comment on so far, I think yours is very interesting and attracts my eye. Good job!

    ReplyDelete