Monday, September 9, 2013

We're Bringing Sexy Back

 I think sexiness is very important in our culture today. I believe this is so because people always want to achieve greatness and become better versions of themselves, especially when it comes to visual appeal to others. I believe this comes into play in what people buy depending on how things are advertised in the media. For example: I'm sure many women would be perfectly content wearing "granny panties" every day of the week, but the media, especially television shows and underwear ads, is emphasizing the fact that granny panties are embarrassing and it's the see through, lace thong that's sexy and has all the men on edge. In Marie D. Smith's article "Decoding Victoria's Secret" she argues that the business is only such a success with women because, "[Victoria is] the best at giving men what they want visually." You don't generally see the Victoria's Secret models wearing belly button-high, nude, unflattering, undergarments; They are generally seen in some type of lacy, matching pair of undergarments that flatter their pushed up busts and perky bottoms. Thus, if these are the types of women men think are sexy and the types of underwear they consider men to think are sexy, then naturally, women are going to purchase from these businesses in order to make themselves qualify as sexy to men as well.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your statement that the media can help people decide what to buy by how it's advertised. My blog post was rather similar to this. Yeah, if a movie has a attractive female on the poster and she's in a bikini, it's going to get a lot of attention. The same goes with video games and magazines. I mean, have you seen the female characters in some of the popular video games? holy shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately most female characters in video games are insignificant and are often seen as in the way. I am glad to see that more recent video games have gotten better with this portrayal.

      Delete
  3. Sexiness in our culture is huge. I am glad that the portrayal of women in culture has gotten better over the years but at the same time its still really bad.

    ReplyDelete