Thursday, November 14, 2013

What Defines the Millenial Generation

The Millennial generation, like any, has its good traits and its not-so-good traits. One big example of the not-so-good traits might be that, since technology is so prevalent in every aspect of our lives, we are somewhat technology obsessed. People our constantly posting pictures or commenting about their lives on social networking sites and the majority of these posts are things that other people really either have no business in knowing or don’t want to know. Such things are like: where you are at right at this moment, what you ate for dinner, that you are mad at someone, and so on and so forth.  Now days, people almost obsess over keeping up with their latest dramas or news on these social networking sites and can often lose touch with things in the real world that really matter. Although this example is very important and is seen happening to kids, teens, and adults just about everywhere, I don’t think it is what defines the Millennial Generation. I think a major event that would define the Millennial generation, which just so happens to be one which harbors a “good trait” would be the election of our first ever black president, Barack Obama. Although some people don’t necessarily agree that he is even a good president, I think his election was a defining moment for our generation because it shows the progression of acceptance of diversity in this country and how much we have grown in this sense. Now, not only are people more accepting to racial diversity, but diversity in sex (like at the work place), mental\physical abilities, and romantic partnership as well. This will be a general good for our future because hopefully it will help lead to equality and acceptance amongst all people in future generations, and help reduce a lot of the arguments and fighting that still occur amongst the minority of people who still haven’t caught on to the change.

4 comments:

  1. I definitively agree with your points! I remember I watched one video. Some people now are using cellphone everywhere every time. When they start to use cellphone, people around them start to disappear. Just like you said, when people really rely on technology such as computer and cellphone, they start to lose the connection with real world. I really love your second point, because I am from different race and I am a girl. I can directly feel now people start to accept and be friendly with different race or sex. I agree with you! This is one of the best trait of Millennial generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your examples of good and bad things that our generation is defined by. I couldn't agree more about the new technology of social networks. People get too carried away and distracted by other people's thoughts and views that they don't think or even dress for themselves anymore. I could rant all day about this subject but this generation also has good traits. More and more we keep passing laws and allowing for diversity of skin color, culture, and gender. We are all very lucky to be in this generation because we have it so easy compared to other generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, there are way too many people obsessed with texting, facebook, twitter and so on. I also think you are absolutely right on the new generations accepting diversity better than older generation and hope this trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the direction you went with your post. I totally agree that our generation has come very far with electing the first black president. That was a huge thing and really said a lot about who we were as a country. I also agree that we have the chance/are paving the way for change and a brighter future. Things might be rough, but that's life and it's important to remember that we all are human and should be respected as living beings. However, I don't need to know what every living being is doing at every moment of their lives. TMI guys!

    ReplyDelete