This kind of "intertextuality" shows up everywhere in life. One popular example I can think of is with kids t.v shows vs. products made from them. For example, SpongeBob is a very popular t.v show, and not only is it that, but its characters come in snacks, plush toys, clothing, books, board games, video games, etc. and you never really know if the original creator of SpongeBob and the television series had anything to do with the designing or creating of any of them. This goes the same for other similar children's shows such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Dora The Explorer. Some of the items sparked from these shows may not even be made by a Disney or Nickelodeon corporation, or even have to credit the person who originally thought of the characters or show ideas. There are so many items out there like this now that some people may not ever know, or even care where ideas originally came from, so long as they still get what their asking for.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
"Intertextuality"
After learning about "intertextuality" from the "Bootleg Culture" reading, I realized that there is a ton of it out there, and I can't always say that I know exactly who wrote what, made what, or said what first! For example, just the other day, I heard this new song on the radio called "Dark Horse" by Katie Perry and Juicy J...or so I think. When trying to look the song up to add to my "Spotify" playlist for enjoyment purposes, it came up with a list of many versions of this song by different artists. I had no clue, and still have no clue, which one was even the original and who came up with it in the first place. Although the other versions were just as cool as Katie Perry's, it was sort of unsettling to me not knowing which one was really even "Dark Horse" the authentic.
This kind of "intertextuality" shows up everywhere in life. One popular example I can think of is with kids t.v shows vs. products made from them. For example, SpongeBob is a very popular t.v show, and not only is it that, but its characters come in snacks, plush toys, clothing, books, board games, video games, etc. and you never really know if the original creator of SpongeBob and the television series had anything to do with the designing or creating of any of them. This goes the same for other similar children's shows such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Dora The Explorer. Some of the items sparked from these shows may not even be made by a Disney or Nickelodeon corporation, or even have to credit the person who originally thought of the characters or show ideas. There are so many items out there like this now that some people may not ever know, or even care where ideas originally came from, so long as they still get what their asking for.


This kind of "intertextuality" shows up everywhere in life. One popular example I can think of is with kids t.v shows vs. products made from them. For example, SpongeBob is a very popular t.v show, and not only is it that, but its characters come in snacks, plush toys, clothing, books, board games, video games, etc. and you never really know if the original creator of SpongeBob and the television series had anything to do with the designing or creating of any of them. This goes the same for other similar children's shows such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Dora The Explorer. Some of the items sparked from these shows may not even be made by a Disney or Nickelodeon corporation, or even have to credit the person who originally thought of the characters or show ideas. There are so many items out there like this now that some people may not ever know, or even care where ideas originally came from, so long as they still get what their asking for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love Spongebob! This example illustrated the concept of "intertexuality" clearly. I like the point you pointed in your blog---some products might were not made by original companies, but people don't really care. They just want it!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazin how much they use intertexuality in our lives. It makes an original even more popular.
ReplyDelete