The song “Accidental
Racist” by Brad Paisley and L.L Cool J was made to be a big deal, first of all,
because this song fused two completely different music genres together.
According to Chuck Klosterman’s reading, country music is supposed to sort of be
stories about the average Joe and simple, everyday life, while Staples’ argument
about hip hop states that it is mostly about murder, misogyny and materialism.
Clearly these two genres appear as though they wouldn’t mix well, but then
again, not all country songs and hip-hop songs are always about these kinds of
things. This means that Klosterman and
Staples’ ideas about the two could be considered stereotypical. “Accidental
Racist” breaks through the stereotypes of both genres by creating something
that is very different and unexpected, but even so, the song is still
controversial because the lyrics themselves bring cultural stereotypes into
play.
In the song,
Brad Paisley describes himself as looking the part of the typical southern
cowboy: wearing a white cowboy hat and a confederate flag t-shirt, while L.L
Cool J describes himself as wearing a gold chain. Both these statements are stereotypes of the
typical southerner and the typical person of hip-hop culture because not every
person categorized in either cultural group dresses the way these two men do.
Another reason this song is such a big deal is people reacted very negatively to
the fact that it brought up the issue of slavery very bluntly. Some people were
angered by the fact that this may have re-opened an argument that was already
long forgotten, and some people were just the opposite. L.L Cool Jay states in
one of his lines, “If you can forgive my gold chains, I can forget my iron
chains.” Some were angered by this statement because they thought it was
radical to agree to forget about something so important to our history in
exchange for not being judged by the way one dresses. Personally, I thought the
song had good intentions within its message, and people shouldn’t be offended
by this attempt at guiding two different cultures to better understand each
other. As a song, though, I thought “Accidental Racist” sounded bad and the two
genres did not fit very well together the way it was created.
I agree with what you said about stereotypes. They play such a large role in shaping not only the arguments from the readings but the images of the men in the song. I think they focused too much on making it sound like a song and lost the message they were trying to tell.
ReplyDeleteTTYL,
Gossip Guy
I agree the musically speaking the song struggled. Hip Hop and Country are about as opposite as possible and blending the two is a difficult task. When analyzing the specific lyrics people look to deeply. These two people are musicians not historical figures. Their job is to bring a topic to the publics attention and I think they succeeded. I think this song a is a great example of our pathway to recovering from the past.
ReplyDelete